ErtG4tRlazazMr987V1830i

Popular Posts

The HaHaHa Pentaward

The HaHaHa Pentaward

One day, I was sitting with my old friends Brigitte and Jean Jacques Evrard, chatting about humour, one of our favourite topics. I mentioned that humour seems to have no place in today’s business world. Digitalisation has made us so efficient that there is no time to lay back, think and smile. So Jean Jacques [...]

Popular Posts

Is it a new trend?

Is it a new trend?

There are two brands I’ve followed closely during the last 2-3 years, as both seem to have understood how to connect with a younger generation. They are Michel et Augustin in France, and soon all over Europe and Emmi in Switzerland, starting to export as well.

Yes, their packages and POS material are busy and do [...]

Popular Posts

Sell your city, country or region

Sell your city, country or region

The origin of raw materials such as cacao or coffee is one way of promoting a country or region. This is done quite often, be it with or without quality seals as “Café de Colombia” or “Rainforest Alliance Certified”.

Popular Posts

Typography, a communication tool

Typography, a communication tool

Once I heard that typography was a “beautiful group of letters and not a group of beautiful letters”.

Popular Posts

Don’t change your logotype, update your identity!

Don’t change your logotype, update your identity!

I am aware that I’m going to annoy some of my fellow designers with this idea, but, as someone said, if you have no enemies, you have no character!

Dec 05

How good are we?

Posted by admin in Advertising | Design
How good are we?

You will find below some thoughts I gave to a journal and which unfortunately have not been published. It’s about where the designer should be and how good we are in order to reach a great result. How we, the client and the designer together, proceed and maximize the joint effort. This is my very personal view-point so if you have any comments, please give them and I’ll answer, but only by snail-mail!

Nov 28
How to reduce frustration

Is there anything more frustrating than when your (great) design is turned down because it is not liked? In fact, this is one of many reasons why so few great, surprising and memorable designs see the light!

Nov 21

Wine in bag-in-box

Posted by admin in Design | Trends
Wine in bag-in-box

During a recent travel through the South of Sweden, I visited a few ‘Systembolag’, that is to say the special shops where you buy hard liquor, wine and beer. I was very impressed to see the creativity in the category of wines in bag-in-box and was not surprised to learn that 50% of all wines sold in Sweden are now distributed in this type of pack. This is no doubt a proof of what great package design can do! The creativity lies in graphic design, as well as in shape design and material.

Oct 31
Do you have a pattern?

I have always found that an icon is superior to a logotype as the icon is usually more emotional. An icon can be an animal (e.g. a Tiger), a graphical device (e.g. the Swoosh), a person (e.g. Uncle Bens), etc. The icon which I’d like to promote today is ‘the pattern’.

Oct 17
The Beauty of the Movement

Learning to write, forming the various letters like the teacher writing on the blackboard, is also learning to read. The same, unique movement of his hand, is equally the main tool for the graphic designer.

Oct 11

Waste or Energy?

Posted by admin in Trends
Waste or Energy?

Do you want to see things in a positive or a negative light? Do you put your used packages in the earth for the coming 100 years or do you burn them and recuperate the energy to be used for other purposes?

Oct 03

Be top-of-mind

Posted by admin in Advertising | Bottles | Trends
Be top-of-mind

… thanks to creative package design.

Sep 28

Do you tell a story?

Posted by admin in Design
Do you tell a story?

Storytelling has been used as communication since time immemorial. Stories are told in the hope that someone may listen… In the case of package design, you hope it will be seen, understood and bought.

Sep 12
Contemporary chocolate packaging

The present trend towards more dark/bitter chocolate, the arrival of exotic fruits and new ingredients such as chili, as well as Fairtrade and Bio messages have given birth to 4 very clear trends.

Sep 06

The front panel syndrome

Posted by admin in Design
The front panel syndrome

The Oxford dictionary tells us that a syndrome is “a characteristic combination of opinions, behaviour…” etc. The behaviour in this case is the 90% devotion by package designers to the front panel, leaving a bare 10% for the designing of the back panel which I call the service panel.

Packaging Sense by  wordpress themes